}

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Our Ecuador Grandpa

July 6, 2015

Hola Familia,

Well this past 4th of JULY was one for the books.  The day started off with a phone call from our ZONE Leaders screaming "HAPPY BIRTHDAY `MURICA!!"  Haha they’re crazy.  Then we made 3 cakes for the main event of the day…the baptism of Manuel Santana - because we invited EVERY single person we know here.  Then on the way to the church building, as we were walking down the stairs exiting the house where we made the cakes (and decorated them quite professionally I might add ;) ) my compi with her KIND heart, tried to help me with one of the cakes in my hands....AND SHE FELL, spraining her ankle.  Even with all the pain, SHE laughs and we wobbled on over to the church dying laughing.  But no worries at least the cakes didn’t fall. ;) 

Manuel`s baptism service was one of the MOST spiritual baptisms I have witnessed on my mission.  It truly was the greatest experience for my companion and I and all those who were there too, but especially for our "Ecuador grandpa", Manuel.  

Hna Rebolledo, Manuel, Hna B

We told Manuel to put his shoes back on so we could go outside and take pictures, but he said
"Jesus walked without shoes, so can I!"  Haha he is adorable.

Manuel with his daughter Diana, who he LOVES with all his heart.
(She is the Young Women President in our ward here)
Manuel with his best friend and next door neighbor, Johnny who baptized him

Manuel IS THE MOST Christ-like person you will ever meet.  After I had cut and passed out all the cake, my hands were pretty messy due to issues with the dull knife I was using.  Manuel came over and pulled out his handkercheif (no clue how to spell that) and with MUCH care began to clean my hands off.  It sounds silly, but in the moment I felt as the apostles of Christ would have felt to have their feet washed by their Savior who had become their dear friend.  I even told him, “NO I will get your handkerchief dirty!”  But he insisted.  A small group of those present gathered around to marvel at HOW ADORABLE he is, and to feel of the spirit as we witnessed a true disciple of Christ.  I don’t think he has ever even killed a fly because he is so loving.  He is just the greatest.  

Well, I don’t have enough time to write more from this week, because we are off to Guayaquil once more and we have to leave earlier today because THE POPE came to Ecuador and literally EVERYONE is going to see him in Guayaquil or Quito this week, so the bus terminal is going to be CRA-ZYY!  

“We shouldn’t wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available – ALL THE TIME!”  - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Be happy folks!! 

Love you each dearly, 

Hermana Bartholomew 

No comments:

Post a Comment